Tuesday 10 August 2010

Schooling is NOT a Natural Environment for Learning

The title of this blog is a quote from Sue Van Hattum, aka "Math Mama Writes", who runs a "math salon" for young people and their parents in her home in California. Her teaching approach and ideas are part of a documentary in progress called "Class Dismissed" which is soon to be released. On their web site I found this quote, which I like a lot;
"Class Dismissed will challenge its viewers to take a fresh look at what it means to be educated, the difference between education and schooling, while offering up a radical new way of thinking about the process of education."


There is a revolution happening out there in mathematics education, without grades. Hat tip to Sue, a revolutionary heroine.

1 comment:

Sue VanHattum said...

I'm blushing, Pat...

I want the revolution to come to the school I teach at, too. The students who come to my math salon mostly come from families with more privilege, and my students at the college mostly have less privilege.

I hope my past year on sabbatical has taught me something that I can share with my college students.